REQUEST A WORKSHOP
Workshops are available for Boards of Directors as well as for members and committees. COCHF can provide a workshop on almost any subject area relating to governance and management of a housing co-op.
If you do not see the workshop that you are looking for on this list, please contact the federation office.
Click on a topic title below to view information about that workshop.
Board Basics is the 6-hour training workshop for Boards with mostly new directors. The workshop provides an overview of the basic information that directors will need to know to carry out their responsibilities. This workshop will cover:
- Responsibilities of the Board
- Good Governance
- Responsibilities of Individual Directors and Officers
- Directors as Leaders
- Decision Making Responsibilities
- Chairing Meetings
- Preparing and Using Agendas
- Minute Taking
- Decision Making
- Co-operative Principles & Values
- Co-op Act, By-laws and Policies
- Greater Co-op Sector
This workshop is an opportunity for the directors to look at those particular topics/issues that they are now dealing with or will be in the near future. Some co-ops have combined Board Training with a Goal Setting and Planning session.
- What to Include in a Plan
- Annual Calendars
- Board-Management Relationship
- Management Contracts and Job Descriptions
- Evaluating Management Performance
- Federal and Provincial Legislation
- Entering into Agreements and Contracts
- Conflict of Interest and Ethical Conduct
- Director Liability
- Approvals and Terminations of Membership
- Why have committees and which committees to have
- Board Oversight of Committees
- Committee Job Descriptions
- Spending and Controls
- Operating Budgets
- Arrears & Vacancies
- Replacement & Capital Reserves
- Financial Reports
- Members Meetings
- Involvement vs. Participation
- Managing Volunteers
HOW TO REQUEST A PORTABLE WORKSHOP FOR YOUR CO-OP
- An authorized person completes the “Portable Workshop Request” form. The members for whom the workshop is to be delivered decide on the topics they want included in the workshop and the dates people are available.
- Upon receipt of the request, COCHF will arrange for an instructor. The instructor will contact the person designated by your co-op to discuss the workshop details and to finalize the start and finish time and needs for room set-up.
- COCHF will send a letter of acknowledgement to the co-op stating that the workshop will proceed on the date agreed to and the fee that will be charged.
- One-half of the workshop fee will be payable 14 days prior to the workshop date. The balance of the fee will be payable after the workshop is held.
3 Hour Workshop
6 Hour Workshop
COCHF WORKSHOP POLICY
Workshops are customized to meet the needs of the co-op and are either 3 hours or 6 hours depending on the topics requested. COCHF strongly advises a co-op not to arrange for a workshop until those members whom the co-op wants to attend acknowledge they are available on that date and agree to attend.
Click here to download the COCHF Workshop Policy.